Extracts from Bell News Vol 28 p 265 24th July 1909
.. At a meeting held on July 29th, with the Dean of Peterborough presiding, it was arranged that the annual meeting should be held at Peterborough on August bank holiday, when any ringers will be welcome.
The new Association is to be called “The Peterborough and District Association of Church Bell Ringers.”The first officers will be: President, the Very Rev. the Dean of Peterborough; vice-President and Honorary Treasurer, the Rev. E. E . Law ; Honorary Secretary, William T. Johnson (80, Princes Street, Peterborough).
Extracts from Bell News Vol p319 21st Aug 1909
THE PETERBOROUGH AND DISTRICTS ASSOCIATION.
The first annual meeting of the above association was held on bank holiday, August 2nd, when ringers were present from Whittlesea, Castor, Glinton, Higham Ferrers, Rushden, Finedon, Cranford, Irthlingborough, Peterborough (St. Mary’s and St. John’s), also Mr. Sentance (of London), formerly of Braintree. The bells of St. Mary’s, Peterborough (six) were kept going continuously from 10.0 a.m. to 8.30 p.m., during which time touches of Kent and Oxford Treble Bob, Oxford, Double Court, College Single, and Plain Bob were rung; also Grandsire and Bob Doubles. A tea was held at The Fitzwilliam, to which twenty-one sat down, the vicar presiding. After tea the meeting was held, when … Several new members were admitted. Afterwards in St. Mary’s schoolroom touches of Bob Major, Grandsire Triples and Treble Bob Minor were rung on the handbells.
From the Ringing World 1966 p508:
PETERBOROUGH CATHEDRAL BELLS
Dear Sir,—Mr. Valentine is quite correct in saying that Peterborough Cathedral bells were rung on Armistice Day, 1918, when Mr. Tom Tebbutt rang the tenor to extents of Grandsire Doubles. They were also rung at the annual meeting of the Peterborough and District Association on August 4th, 1919, as seen in the report in "The Ringing World ” on August 15th, 1919. I rang on each of these occasions. At the business meeting the Dean said the restoration of the bells was included in a commemoration scheme, which was to cost ￡20,000. It was suggested that a light ring of ten should replace the heavy five. The scheme evidently never materialised. — Yours sincerely, A RICHARDSON (Mrs). Surfleet.
From the Ringing World January 4, 1974 p2
PETERBOROUGH AND DISTRICT ASSOCIATION
The Association was formed, after preliminary discussion meetings, on June 16, 1909, and the first annual meeting was held on August Bank Holiday, 1909, at St. Mary’s, Peterborough. The meeting would have been at St. John's, but the bells there were being rehung. Ringing commenced at 10 a.m. and continued until late in the evening, ringers coming from as far away as Higham Ferrars and Irthlingborough. The first peal for the Association was also rung at St. Mary's, Oxford and Plain Bob Minor, conducted by J. B. Hallifax, on September 25, 1909.
Meetings began to be held quarterly in towers within a 20-mile radius of Peterborough, irrespective of diocese, although the Association was based in Peterborough and the Dean of the Cathedral was president, and most of the neighbouring towers were covered by their own diocesan organisations. In early years ringing often began about noon and at meetings in Peterborough, at St. John, St. Mary’s and the Cathedral, bells were rung.
The first secretary, Mr. W. Jutson, [should read 'Johnson'] resigned in 1911 and his place was taken by Mr. F. Cooke. By 1911 the Association had members in 18 towers, mostly to the north and east of Peterborough. An early highlight in the history of the Association was the presence of Mr. William Willson of Leicester at the 1911 A.G.M. “Everyone had an opportunity to ring with one of the world's greatest ringers.”
In 1913 a meeting in Huntingdon led to complaints of poaching from the Ely Association. Also in 1913 the Association became affiliated to the Central Council, Mr. Ralph Narborough of Wisbech being elected representative. Miss E. Steele of Bedford attended the 1913 A.G.M., the first lady to ring in Peterborough.
Activities declined during the 1914-18 war. Subscriptions were not collected and only the annual meetings were held. The first lady members were elected: five from Kings Cliffe, where the bells had just been rehung, in 1917, and eleven more from various towers in 1918. At least 40 members of the Association served in the war, and four were killed in action.
Quarterly meetings restarted in 1919, and by 1920 the peal total had reached its pre-war level, although it declined again afterwards.
From its early days the Association had helped local towers which were rehanging or installing bells, and after the war it was decided to collect for a treble for the Cathedral (at this time still ringable) and with a scheme for rehanging and augmentation as a war memorial. This however, came to nothing and the bells were not rung after 1920. A regular belfry repair fund seems to have been started in 1921.
In the spring of 1923 there was correspondence with the Central Northants Association about forming a Diocesan Guild, and this was discussed by the committee on June 5. Six members attended the meeting and service at Wellingborough on June 9. The committee decided on December 11 that the Association should join the Diocesan Guild, but the final decision could not be made until the A.G.M. on September 2, 1924. The minutes of that meeting record the unanimous decision to confirm the affiliation of the Peterborough and District Association with the Diocesan Guild.