Ernest E Whitmore
17/4/1913 - 31/12/1990
Ernest Edward Whitmore was born on April 17, 1913 in the Thrapston area of Northamptonshire. He was taught to ring at Raunds in Northamptonshire along with his brother Bill (William J), making a very good ringer, mixing with the well-known ringers around the Wellingborough area of that time. He and his brother rang their first peal on March 16, 1929 at Lowick ringing the treble and second to Kent, Oxford and Plain Bob Minor. He rang a series of peals mainly on five and six bells until the second world war. In 1932 he rang at Epsom in a peal of Grandsire Triples comprising all Altar Servers conducted by R H Dove. He rang in Portsmouth before being demobilised in May 1946 from the Royal Navy and before the end of that year he had conducted peals of Doubles, Minor, Triples and Major for the first time for the Guild.
He was elected Master of the Guild in 1947. He did not seek re-election in 1955 and was elected a life honorary member at the AGM. He represented the Guild on the Central Council from 1948 - 1950 and attended 2 meetings. He instigated the formation of the Culworth Branch in 1949 and revived interest in the Rutland Branch in 1951. The Summer Festival held in the Rutland Branch in 1952 continued ever since.
Ernest married Doris in 1953 and moved to Stanwick where he greatly helped the local band.
After retirement he moved to Rothwell for a short time. Finally, he moved to Wainfleet St. Mary in Lincolnshire. He went into a nursing home in Horncastle in August 1990 and died there on December 31, 1990 at the age of 77.
Author: Ron Noon